Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Nut Butters...with Honey of course!

Yummy nut butters
 Here is the ultimate in do-it-yourself, home-made, from-scratch goodness: nut butters.

I love peanut butter.  Unfortunately, I get bad headaches from eating it, which is really sad since I found the most delicious white-chocolate peanut butter, that is to die for!

So, I decided to try making it myself with different kinds of nuts other than peanuts, to see if I make it fresher, and without preservatives or additives, if it still causes my headaches.  If you're looking for weight-loss recipes, I doubt this is it.

You may use any kinds of nuts.  Trying to get the local, and organic is your best bet, but I also understand that may be financially restricting. 



Almonds make a delicious nut butter

Taking 2 cups of nuts, place on cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.  Take out, stir, and put back in oven for another few minutes.  Watch carefully that you don't scorch.

Put cooled nuts into a food processor or blender, and begin processing.  If there are enough natural oils in the nuts, it may begin to form a ball with a processor, but with my blender, it just turns into pulverized nuts.  At this point add about 1 T of a good oil, like sunflower or sesame.  Let the processor or blender do its work. Continue to add oil until you get the right consistency.  Drizzle honey into it, maybe about 1 tablespoon, making sure you keep the consistency of it uniform of a good nut butter. Taste, add more honey if desired.

This butter can be put up into a jar, and kept in the refrigerator for about a month, or indefinitely in the freezer. Experiment with different nuts and different oils.  Don't give up if the taste isn't quite right the first time, keep at it until you like it.

If you are looking for a recipe that is more butter than nut, here is a good one for honey cinnamon butter:
1 c butter, softened to room temp
1/2 c honey
1 t cinnamon
combine and enjoy on your toast, biscuits or bagel!

I'll let you know about the headaches!

No comments: